The best way to cook popcorn in a pan. The secret is to heat up the kernels evenly in hot oil first, before heating them over a flame to pop them quickly all at once.
- Coat the bottom of a pan with a small amount of oil and place over medium heat.
- Put three popcorn kernels in the pan and wait for all three to pop.
- Put the rest of the kernels in the pan, cover with a lid, and remove from the heat for 30 seconds.
- This heats the kernels evenly, getting them all ready to pop together.
- Return the pan to the heat, where the popcorn should start popping right away.
- It helps to keep the lid ajar and shake the pan occasionally to keep the popcorn dry.
- Once the popping slows to a few seconds between pops, pour the popcorn into a bowl.
- Add salt to taste.